Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pack-Rat Parenting

I love my Mom.  And I say that not only because she finally ditched dial-up and can now read this blog, but because I mean it.  Having said that...she's a pack rat.  She saves everything.  Maybe it's better to say that she saved everything.  Everything from my childhood.  18 years worth of birthday cards, newspaper clippings, Perfect Attendance records, and of course, a jar of baby teeth.

Some of the things she gave me were extremely cool (as in nerdy):

  First Editions of Simpson Comics

  The movie seemed cool at the time.  Thank God for Christopher Nolan.




It's not easy to save that stuff, especially the baby teeth.  Caleb swallowed the first two teeth he lost and if it wasn't for spitting the third one out in the sink, it probably would have met the same digestive demise.

My parents have given me all the stuff they saved for me.  At least, I hope that's all there is, we don't have room for much more.  It has been a fun trip down memory lane,  perusing through all the old stuff, but between my rubber tubs of memories and my wife's we're running out of space.

I suggested she throw out all of her old stuffed animals and homecoming dresses.  She suggested I ditch my old comic books and basketball cards.

Stalemate.

When it comes to our children, I'd love to be able to save all of their drawings, school papers, and poorly-kilned ashtrays.  While the basement is full (at least 5 large Rubber-Maid tubs) of our memories, there is always more space in space.   Cyberspace.

  18 years of life reduced to a dark corner of the utility room.

Now, when my kids come home from school waving their papers proudly in the air, I can praise their hard work, take a picture, and wait for them to leave the room before throwing their crowning achievements in the trash.  I figure when they get older, instead of handing them five rubber tubs full of memories, I can hand them a flash drive.  Then again, you can't fit some of the coolest things on a flash drive:

  Thanks Mom!*



*Not Pictured:  Man-at-Arms, Orko, Tri-Klops, Stratos, Clawful, Manteena, and Skeletor.

No comments:

Post a Comment