Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mental Floss



I love trivia.  More accurately, I love knowing the answer to trivia that no one else knows.  The problem is, I don't know as much as I'd like to think I know.  I have a brother-in-law that can tell you the scores of every Super Bowl played since the beginning of time and who had the most stolen bases in Game 3 of the 1909 World Series.  Seriously, just make up some random question about sports and chances are he'll know the answer.

It's creepy.

And awesome.

And, I wish I had that kind of memory.  But, I don't.  My Dad has all kinds of useless facts roaming around in that brain of his, but not me.  Apparently, it skipped a generation.

I think the boy has it.

It's not even a good memory or useless trivia with him though; it's knowledge.  That's half the battle.


Tonight we played the Mental Floss board game.  A great game based on an even better magazine.  If you don't read it you should.  At least visit their website.  I was given this question:

"What is sodium bicarbonate also known as?"

Apparently, I should have known this.  Like I said, I'm not the brightest.  I was thinking it was salt or soda, I had no clue.  Lose a turn, feel ashamed, ask the boy.

"Hey Caleb, what is sodium bicarbonate?"

Without even pausing to think about it or missing a beat of his hand-flapping, he replied:  "Baking Soda."

That's my boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment