Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I Wanna Rock

We all have our bedtime routines.  For the boy, it's a glass of water and wanting to talk while he falls asleep.  While it was annoying at first (I figured it was just a ploy to stay up later), it soon turned in to one of my favorite parts of the day.  I'm not competing with SpongeBob SquarePants or Angry Birds for his attention.  And like his absorbent, yellow, porous friend, he soaks up everything we talk about at night.  It's a great opportunity to warn him about the dangers of drugs, not wearing a seat belt, and the flaws of a "Two Party" system.



The girl's routine consists of getting out of bed a minimum of three times: once for hugs, again for kisses, and a third for the all-important glass of water.  Depending on her level of tiredness and the inefficacy of my yelling at her to go back to bed, we may see her three or more times yet again.  This results in us locking our bedroom doors, turning out the lights, and turning a deaf ear.  It works.  We might trip over a 4-year old sleeping outside our bedroom door in the morning, but it works.




The baby has taken a lesson from her older sister and comes out of her room each night before bed too.  But instead of wanting hugs, kisses, and water, she only wants one thing.  Like her speed-metal-loving Dad, she just wants to rock.  How can I say no?

  She likes to rock out with her book about crocs out.

If you don't have a rocking chair, you're missing out.  It's the best way to fall asleep, but that can also lead to problems.  The idea is for the baby to pass out, but I usually end up falling asleep first.  It doesn't matter if it's 10 o'clock at night or 10 minutes after seven.  If I'm rocking in that chair, I will be unconscious first.

Every time.

No matter the time.

While the saliva gathers at the corners of my mouth, Libby is left with unfettered freedom to destroy the house in true Rock Star fashion.  Eventually, she tires of pulling the cookware out of the cabinets and spreading toys across the floor; she falls asleep.  I guess we all have our bedtime routines.

2 comments:

  1. That was just adorable. I may have to resign from the Grumpy Misanthropes club if you keep this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always join the Mildly-Annoyed Misanthropes club.

    ReplyDelete