Friday, October 18, 2013

Bonding:Like Glue On A Wound

There is a special bond between Elizabeth and myself.  We do everything together.  We eat the same foods, we watch football together, and we even go to the hospital together.

The results of a recent MRI led to an even more recent surgical procedure--namely, spinal surgery (that's totally metal).  The night before my surgery, Libby was feeling sympathetic.  Rather than just share in my emotional pain, she shared in my physical pain.  One badly placed footstep and a well-placed chin later, she was in the hospital emergency room getting her own little surgery.


When I say surgery, what I really mean is that they super-glued her wound shut.  Two-hundred and fifty dollars for them to glue her chin.  I certainly appreciate the ER nurses and their ability to keep my baby from bleeding out, but a quarter of a thousand dollars sounds pretty steep for a glue-job.  Lesson learned.  I've a 97-cent bottle of Elmer's and some Duct-Tape I'll try next time.

The price seems more ridiculous when you consider that my spinal surgery cost us a little over 700 dollars.  That's the difference between In-Network and Out-of-Network.  Not to worry though, the Affordable Care Act will make everything more affordable.  It's in the name, it can't fail right?  On the plus side, for a little under 1,000 dollars we both received some cool scars and matching bracelets.


I also scored this sweet pair of socks with a built-in sunroof.


Even though my back still hurts, my foot is still asleep, and we'll have bills to pay over the next several months, it was worth it.  #LiesITellMyself

Sure, we could have gone fishing together, toured the pumpkin patch, or gone out for ice cream, but you can't put a price on this type of bonding experience.  Just look at the joy and love on Libby's face:



2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your surgeries both worked out OK.

    The obvious question is: Why exactly do your new - and presumably expensive - socks have a hole in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nurse said the holes were for checking my vitals while I was knocked out. I figured that with my butt being up in the air during surgery, a sock hole would be an excellent way to take my temperature.

    ReplyDelete