Monday, June 18, 2012

The Best Father's Day Ever?

There are many reasons why Father's Day 2012 could be the best day I've ever had.  Not only did my wife and children give me the best Father's Day Gift they could give me, my son also gave me some advice that just might change the way I experience each day.

I started out watching the kids splash around in the kiddie pool until their lips were blue and their teeth were chattering; it was highly entertaining.

Later, we set off this eight dollar smoke bomb (Caleb confused it with a Christmas Tree ornament) which had my two older children squealing with delight, albeit from a safe distance.


Sparklers, while awesome for their level of danger, only solicited minor enthusiasm from the boy.

The sight of two large men (my father and I) trying to fix two small childrens' fishing poles, one of which was saturated with more glitter than any fishing pole should be, brought about laughs and quite a few comments from everybody. 

Watching my son cast his rod and reel for the first time was well worth the smart remarks we endured while fixing the poles.

Walking, and later running, across my father's wood piles kept him entertained for quite some time.  At least long enough for Daddy to recover from all the trail walking we did.


But the walks themselves were well worth the effort as we spotted numerous frogs, bugs, worms, and spiders.  All of these pictures could be reason enough for this day to be the best day I've ever had.  But it wasn't any of these activities that made Father's Day the best day ever.  It was a comment that my son had made a couple of days before and then again the next day and the day after that.

The Monday before Father's Day, my son said he had the best day ever.  It consisted of a trip to the park, playing outside, watching Monster House, riding bikes, and a night at the local ice cream shop; all of which are crucial components to having a best day ever.  On Tuesday, we went to a different park, ate at McDonald's, played T-Ball, and probably watched Monster House again.  Once again, Caleb said that "today" was the best day he ever had.

After my son said on Wednesday that "today" was the best day he ever had, I started to realize what exactly he was saying; even if he didn't know he was saying it.  The best days are not laid in memories of events past, they lay in the events themselves as they unfold.  The best day that anyone could ever have is the only one you ever get; it's today.  While all the fun things we did on Father's Day will create memories for years to come, it can't compare to the fact that I've been given another day with my children.  I have a feeling today is going to be the best day I've ever had.



No comments:

Post a Comment