Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Yeah, But Can You Buy Beer?

I rarely get carded.  I rarely buy alcohol when I have the kids with me.  Today, both happened.  After taking the kids to the library, where I was able to pick up a copy of the original X-Men cartoons (for the boy of course) and spending some time at the local mall's play area, we headed to the grocery store.  We needed to pick up a few essentials like bread and chocolate milk.  While there, it dawned on me that we needed to barbecue tonight.  So in the cart goes the chips, hamburger, and beer. 

Your local library is better than Netflix, Redbox, and Blockbuster.

There are quite a few things that make me anxious and those few seconds between the cashier noticing the alcohol and her actually ringing it up are spent wondering if I will be asked for an I.D.  Why this makes me anxious I don't know.  I suppose all those years of trying to purchase alcohol right around the legal age made quite an impression on my subconscious.  I notice her pick up the alcohol and start to price it.  Before I hear the ding of it registering I hear, "Can I see your I.D. please?".

Now, I'm not one of those people that gets mad when I'm asked for I.D.  It's your job to ask if you're not sure.  I'm also not one of those people that takes it as a compliment when you say "You just look so young".  Lady, I've three kids in this cart and they are aging me quickly.  Don't give me any lines about looking young.  If you knew how much hair I trimmed out of my ears and nose before leaving the house this morning, you'd know I wasn't young.

I'm thinking about letting my hair grow out.

Like I said, I'm not mad that I was carded, I just think the three kids in the cart and the worn out look on my face should have been enough.  I have a baby bottle in one hand, my daughter is holding my other hand (she's scared of your eye-shadow), and now you want me to pull out my I.D. for you.  If I'm old enough to handle the three children you see here, I'm old enough to handle that Summer Shandy you're giving me a hard time about.  By the way, Leinenkugel makes some of the best beer I've ever had.

 Do you think this is some sort of elaborate plot I designed to purchase alcohol?  Perhaps I borrowed three neighbor kids, purchased a box of diapers, wipes, and chocolate milk all in an attempt to get my hands on this seven dollar 6-pack.  Not likely.  But, bravo to you cashier lady, you did your job.  And I'm doing my job, and this job often leads to a drink or two, fortunately for me, a Stay At Home Dad is one career that lets you drink on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment