Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day Gift Ideas

It's just days before Father's Day and I have no idea what to get for my own dad.  The problem is, I always want to give gifts that I would want to get.  And for father's day, there is only one gift that I want from my children.   The gift of not spending any money.  I'd like to consider myself a fairly reasonable man who understands the value of a dollar.  When I see that you've spent five dollars on a frilly card with some manufactured sentimental poem inside it, I'll smile and say "Thank You", but inside I'll be thinking "What A Waste".

A sappy card again?  At least it's not another neck tie.

 Give me the gift of not playing in to the consumerism that these holidays promote.  I understand that Father's Day, like most holidays, started out with good intentions, but once Hallmark and coffee mug companies learned how to effectively capitalize on it, all meaning is lost.

Save your mug money and just buy me some beer.

You shouldn't set aside just one day a year to honor your father or mother.  This holds true for gods, veterans, and great pumpkins as well.  If you want to honor somebody or something, you don't just do it once a year.  That's not honor, that's obligation.  I suppose that's why it's so hard to come up with a gift idea for father's day.  It seems cheap, phony, and forced.  I'm not going to buy something just to be buying something.  My dad knows I care because I lend him a hand with projects, we often have dinners together, and most importantly we talk to each other.  So here's a gift idea for Father's Day.  Don't buy a damn thing.  When it comes to your dad, spend time...not money.

No comments:

Post a Comment