Friday, June 22, 2012

Frisky Two Times

A recent trip to the vet (or, animal doctor as Caleb says) cemented my decision to no longer be fruitful and multiply.  When I later discussed this firm position on procreation with my wife, I should have been more specific.  Apparently, she thought I meant I no longer wanted human babies, and took it upon herself to bring home a feline baby.


The fact that I'm allergic to cats should be reason enough to not bring another kitten into our house.  The fact that it's a stray somebody dumped on the side of the road should be another great reason to not bring this hair ball home.  If it was perhaps adopted from a No-Kill shelter, or maybe even PetCo, I'd give it a chance.  But this cat comes from
the same household that gave us our first cat, whom we rightfully called "Podunk".


Podunk was given to us by my wife's grandparents; I think they hate me.  Her personality was great as far as cat personalities go.  She loved to sit on your lap, she never bit anybody or hissed.  She even liked to put both of her paws around your neck and snuggle up right against your face; this, however, was the problem.  Personality will only get you so far.  This cat was constantly sick and a sick cat two inches from your face is not my idea of a comfort pet.  There was always some type of fluid seeping out of her eyes; her right eye would get crusted shut every two or three months.  Her lungs sounded like they were full of oil and she had some sort of nervous head twitch too.  But, that's not the worst of it.  To top it all off, she had a ridiculous sneezing problem.

I've never seen a cat sneeze like this.  Normal human sneezes come in twos or threes.  This cat would sneeze 8-10 times in a row and wouldn't stop until there was a huge string of snot dangling from her nose.  We wiped this cat's eyes and nose more than we wiped my then 8 month old son's butt.


Still, my son loved Podunk, and the joy that cat brought him was well worth the red eyes and runny nose that his allergic father tolerated.  If the picture above is any indication, I have a feeling this new cat will bring as much joy to my daughter and so far, the only sneezes have come from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment