Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Through Your Toddler's Eyes

Every now and then as I load pictures onto the computer from our digital camera, I'll notice that instead of the 54 photos I thought I had taken, there are actually somewhere around 228 pictures.  This can only mean one thing; my daughter swiped the camera when I wasn't looking.  As a Stay At Home Dad, I usually know where to put things to keep them out of little hands, but it never fails; she manages to sniff out the camera.  But my failure in hiding things can be a learning experience.  I always enjoy seeing what she has taken pictures of and with a little luck, I might actually get one or two decent photos as I get a peek into life through her eyes.


First off, everything is bigger, taller and scarier when you're a toddler.  Seems like it would be common sense, but it really gets your attention when you notice the picture your 3-year old took from the bottom of the steps.
I often take steps two at a time; now I see why she plants both feet firmly on one step before moving to the next.

My mother would kill me if she saw this picture, but they have dial-up so she's still waiting for the stairs to load.
You also notice how bad a child's aim and depth perception (as well as choice of lighting) are.  This helps to explain all of the puddles that accumulate at the base of the potty.  I always wondered how a little girl could sit down on the toilet and still leave your bathroom floor in need of a good mopping.  You'd think she had a sure-shot slam-dunk right into the sewer chute, but my wet feet tell me otherwise.


The pictures your children take can also give you an idea of the things they like and where they are developmentally.


 For example, my daughter likes nature and landscape shots, or...

I don't know how she managed to snap this photo, but I'm just glad it wasn't Nicholas Cage.
...my daughter likes Bruce Willis movies.  Bonus points if you can tell me which movie this is from in the comments below.  Or...



...Dear God, help me, she's already taking self-shot pics with her top unbuttoned. Time to start monitoring internet activity.



Even if I have to delete 170 of the 174 extra photos she has taken with my camera, it's worth the risk of her breaking our camera to get a peek (and a couple laughs) at how she sees things in the world.  I can always buy a new camera, but the insight into her world is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment