Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sibling Rivalry

It's funny how sweet moments can turn sour very quickly.  Brother and sister can be playing together nicely on the floor and all it takes is one deadly accurate Lego to the forehead for things to get ugly.  At other times, what appears to be in-the-moment sentimentality can turn out to be a request for one less sister.  I had one such moment yesterday with my son.

We currently live right off of the main highway, a route that runs between our home and the nearest Wal-Mart.  It just so happens that our previous house also rests on this stretch of road.  We spend a lot of time driving past our old place and every time we do, the memories of our early years (from the sweet, peaceful time before kids to the sleepless nights of our firstborn) coming flooding back.

Before kids, before ear-hair, and before giving up on my dreams.
On the way home from our recent outing to Wal-Mart ( a trip in which I believe I've bought my last can of baby formula), our son brought up some memories of his own.  He talked about how small our first house was and how scary the basement was.  He explained to me why we had to move and how much he liked our new house.
Saying our first house was small would be an understatement as shown here by our porch
Then he began to reminisce in more detail about the old place.  He mentioned the huge shade trees (we currently have no shade) and our first cat, the runny-eyed, booger-blowing Podunk.  Finally, he said he wished we could go back to the time we lived in that house.
You're like the little sister I never want.
I was touched that he thought so much about those times.  I figured that his Momma and I must have really made an impression on him with some awesome parenting.  Then I asked him why he wanted to go back to that time.  His response..."Because Leah wasn't born yet".
Yep. Times were good back then.

2 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of your rants, advice or funny stories! I have spent my children free morning reading your blog instead of getting my much needed beauty sleep. I am going to be a bear tonight at work. Thanks Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! You don't need any beauty sleep. Tell 'em I said you could have the night off.

    ReplyDelete