Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Where Do Babies Come From?

When my son asks me a question it's usually, "What's for dinner?" or "Can I watch a movie?".  As he gets older, his questions have been getting more complicated.  Don't get me wrong, his questions still usually revolve around pop-tarts and Kung-Fu Panda, but he is showing more insight and understanding regarding this world. 

Just last week we had a nice five to ten minute conversation on the differences between poop and pee that ended with us understanding why feces needs to come out slower than urine.  Naturally, we had this conversation while I was in the midst of my own slow-moving bowel movement.

That about captures it.
So the other day when he asked, "Where do babies come from?", I was a little surprised.  When your kid asks you a tough question like this, the most important thing to do is just answer the specific question they asked. 

 In other words, say as little as possible or before you know it, you'll be scouring the internet for ultrasound pictures while discussing fallopian tubes and spermatozoa.  If your kid asks where babies come from, you say "from Momma" and take it from there.  Often, the simplest answer is enough, but then my son wanted to know how babies come from Momma. Crap.

We've already covered the fact that boys have a "winky" and girls do not have a "winky" with my son.  I really didn't feel like getting into more detail about male and female reproductive organs, so I was hoping that the answer "They come from Momma's belly" would suffice; it did, at least for a little while.

A few days ago my wife informed me that she had her own "where do babies come from" conversation with our son.  After stewing over babies and bellies, he asked her, "How can a baby be in your belly with all that food in there?"  We try to be as honest with our children as possible, so when my wife was asked this question, it was time to get real.

"Well son, it's not in my belly, it's in my uterus".

"Momma...where's my uterus?"
That about captures it.

No comments:

Post a Comment