Thursday, December 20, 2012

Homemade Christmas Gifts

Not that long ago, I expressed my disdain for buying crap for the kids this Christmas.  My wife interpreted my commercial hatred to mean that she could still make something for the kids.  So, for the past week or so, she has been coming up with some pretty cool homemade Christmas gift ideas that have Daddy's seal of approval.  I guess for me, making something for the kids is more fun than going out and buying something that has probably been made by a child no older than my own.


My wife scoured the web looking for cool projects for the two of us (mainly her) to do.  Truthfully, it's been fun putting this stuff together for the kids and the fact that we're not spending a ton of money on crap they won't even play with fills my heart with Christmas cheer.  One of the coolest things about homemade Christmas gifts is laying the stuff out right in front of the kids and having them help you make it.  Cooking sheets, felt, magnets, and PVC pipe don't exactly scream "Christmas Present" to a child, so they had no idea.  Here is some of the cool stuff we (my wife) made.

 Animal-Shaped Crayons:  Our kids seem to love breaking crayons more than they like coloring with them.  Don't throw those pieces out, use them to make new crayons.  Learn how to make these Crayola Christmas gifts here.





Felt Mix and Match Playsets:  These are similar to the Colorforms play sets you may have played with as a child.  Or, at least the cheap, felt version of Colorforms.  Learn how to make these cheap Christmas gifts here.





Magnetic Play Board:  A really simple idea that I know our daughter is going to love.  We did a pirate them for the boy and a sparkly, butterfly and animal one for the girl.  Learn how to make these handmade Christmas gifts here.





Marshmallow Gun:  This is the one thing that I actually made.  It is awesome and you need one.  That's all you need to know.  Except maybe for how to make a marshmallow gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment