Monday, December 10, 2012

The Santa Game

I'm not playing the Santa game.  You know, the one where parents lie to their children about a fat guy in a red suit that delivers presents annually.  I'm not against anyone that wants to play this game with their kids, I just feel that there are better reasons not to play.

First off, I don't want the fictitious fatty getting credit for any of the crap I buy for the kids.  We're not buying much for them anyway (I'll rant about that in another post), but I want my children to know that their Momma and I bought what little junk there is. 

It's a small thing really, but I remember Santa bringing tons of presents to me as a child while Mom and Dad only bought a couple of things.  When you're a kid, love for you is measured by how many presents you get.  Santa (whom I've never seen) loved me more than Mom and Dad.  Those cheapskates!

Another great reason to avoid Santa talk is because I'm the authority in the house, not Jolly Old Saint Nick.  Walk into any store around Christmas time and you'll probably hear a kid being told to behave because Santa is watching.  Grow some balls and tell your kids to behave because YOU are watching.  Who's the authority in your house, you or Santa?


The best reason to not play the Santa game, is because you're lying to your kids...for years.  I hear parents talking about how they're going to have to tell their kids that Santa isn't real.  Luckily, they won't have to tell them, somebody on the playground will break the news to them.  What parents are really complaining about is how they have to face up to lying to their kid for six, seven, or however many years.


Here's a tip.  Don't lie to your kids.  Sure, it may make Christmas more fun if they believe in Santa, but the few years of magical, ignorant bliss that they enjoy may be overshadowed by the following years of psychological damage.  Have fun rebuilding that trust, the Tween years are just ahead.



The kids still enjoy seeing Santa at the mall or watching him on t.v. and I have no problem telling  them about the original Saint Nick or any of the other stories and legends that have grown up around him.  While "Santa" is dead and long gone, I believe the giving spirit that he represents is still alive and well, even if it's hard to see at times.  If my kids are going to believe in any sort of Santa, I want it to be that one.

Or, Zombie Santa.  He's badass.





No comments:

Post a Comment