Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bikini Onesie

Why do I ever bother looking at "Trending Now" on Yahoo's homepage?  Once in a great while there is actually something worth reading like, "God Particle Found" or "Cat Lady Suicide".  More often than not it's celebrity crap like "Casey Anthony Reads Hunger Games" or "Tom Cruise Calls Katie Holmes "Kate".  I'm not making up those last two headlines by the way.  If this is the drivel that most internet users are actually reading, we are not far from an Idiocracy with Luke Wilson as our president.



More than likely, these "trends" are just Yahoo writers trying to boost their own articles; which they were successful with today; at least with this stay at home dad.  When I saw "Bikini Onesie" I just couldn't resist clicking on it.  Science has brought about a lot of good (and evil) things in this world, but I was curious to see how they made a two piece bathing suit into a one piece article of baby clothing.  What I found was even more surprising.


It's like this but with crotch buttons.


It's just a onesie with a picture of a bikini on it.  I didn't feel right stealing the photo from Gordman's website, but you can see a picture of the bikini onesie here.  What really amazed me though, was the fact that some parents  were "outraged" by the fact that this thing existed; let alone that anyone would put it on their children.  Comments were made like, "This sexualizes children" and "This teaches babies about wrong body image".  WOW.  Really?

First of all, I'd just like to say that the comments section of almost any online news article is more entertaining than anything I've ever seen on t.v. or the internet, and we used to have Cinemax.  Secondly, I'd like to repeat myself and say "Really"?  A onesie that covers 90 percent of the child "sexualizes" the baby?  Have you seen some of the other outfits that Hoochie Mamas put on their Hoochie Babies?  Who in their right mind is going to look at a baby wearing this thing and think, "Good god, that baby is sexy as hell";  nobody, that's who. 

Don't be a Lady, baby.  Just be my Baby, lady.

Now let me address the second idiotic thing I read: "This teaches babies about wrong baby image".  I can't teach my baby to walk, talk, or to stop shitting herself, I doubt my 10 month old is concerning herself with the philosophical conundrum of how to look sexy but not feel objectified. 

Truth is, this is probably a non-issue that the article writer conjured up, similar to the whole breast feeding madness of a few weeks ago or the Huggies Dad Campaign.  Most sane people just don't care.  If you don't like it, don't buy it.   It's great publicity for Gordman's and it increases traffic to the writer's webpage.  Hey, I'm doing the same thing by writing about it too.  But why shouldn't I, it's what's "Trending Now".




No comments:

Post a Comment