Monday, July 9, 2012

Missing Link Found?

missing link found hairy foot
Some things you can't unsee.

Living in the rural midwest, surrounded by fields, there is no shortage of mice trying to find their way into our home.  There is, however, a shortage of useful mousetraps.  It seems that the only thing these sticky glue traps catch is curious 3 year old girls.




Kids are maturing quicker these days.  Time to start shaving.

When my wife sees a mouse or even a hint of mice being present, it's on.  No corner is safe, no counter-top free, from those sticky pads of glue.  War has been declared and we are about to bring chaos to the Rodentia Order.  We might share 99 percent of our genes with mice, but I'll be damned if I'm sharing my house with them.

Before PETA starts sending me hate mail about how sticky traps are cruel to animals, let me say two things.  First off, I don't like using them either and secondly, being cruel to animals is kind of the point.  I don't want the little bastards pooping on pop-tarts or eating through the Ethernet cables.  I wish there was a better way, but sadly, they need to die.  I never understood the point of catch and release traps for mice, unless you release them into your in-law's yard.

Like I said, I don't like using these things.  I hate having to pick one up with a half dead mouse on it.  You'd think they would be dead after gnawing through their hind leg and ripping their tail off, but the second you pick that trap up, you'd think the starter's gun had just gone off in the 100 metre sprint.  That mouse is making it's last dash for freedom while you're left there holding it hoping it doesn't poop on you or bite you.

Then you have to dispose of the thing.  Depending on the severity of the mouse's offences it's death by water or the hammer.  If no serious damage has been done, to the sink he or she goes.  Now, if I had to clean out all the cabinets, wash all the dishes, and buy a new Ethernet cable, it's Hammer-Time.

There's no such thing as overkill

It's not always this way though.  I feel that we have been very merciful in our dealings with these tiny creatures, afterall, we are both mammals are we not?  Death comes quick for these far removed cousins and we even adopted a stray mouse that was living outside.  By adopted I mean we aren't going to kill it as long as it stays outside.

I'm pretty sure he died later that night.


So, until we catch an actual mouse, I suppose we'll enjoy the pitter-patter of our daughter's feet as she walks up the stairs with a mouse trap glued to her foot.  We'll pry the trap off her foot and rub some vegetable oil into her feet to remove the glue (this works great by the way).  But, before we get completely clean.....



...the girl has to pose.

6 comments:

  1. You never cease to entertain Mark and I :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only it was enough to get you guys to move back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious...you've got your hands full with three kids! after having a mouse problem a few years back, i learned that sealing off any holes around the perimeter of the house effectively kept those critters out. went around the crawlspace with styrofoam spray to fill crevices, and put fine hardware cloth over the vents/grates. good luck with your mouse adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so funny and look at those innocent feet, rather clue than getting caught in a mouse-trap!

    Get yourself a cat or borrow one, that is the fastest way to keep mice out of the home, guaranteed. The wife will be pleased, the little girl would love such a pet, and you will be spared the death sentence. So, stop murdering those little creatures ( I said with a coy smile on my face, as they give me the creeps).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kris, being surrounded by corn fields on three sides of our house, fighting mice is a losing battle. It doesn't help that the kids leave our basement door wide open far too often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We actually just took in a stray cat about two or three weeks ago. If it survives our daughter we'll definitely put her to work outside.

    http://www.theparentingdad.com/2012/06/29/cat-in-heat/

    I just link dropped my own blog. Is that legal?
    Thanks for reading Rum.

    ReplyDelete