Friday, July 6, 2012

Wal Mart's Latest Policy

WalMart policy on alcohol

It's ridiculous enough that I get carded for buying alcohol when I have all three children with me, but Wal-Mart's newest policy on selling alcohol may be the dumbest policy I've ever heard.  I'm not sure if this is a nation wide thing or just a local chain cracking down, but apparently, if you purchase alcohol now, they want to
see an I.D. from everyone at the check out register.

I know, right?

Before heading out to enjoy our Fourth of July festivities, we made the customary stop at Wal-Mart to stock up on essentials like, beer, bacon, and cookie dough.  This wasn't just a quick-run-inside-and-get-back-out-as-fast-as-you-can operation.  Our entire family (5 in all) made this little pilgrimage from the front of the store, to the back of the store, back to the front check out aisle.

The only time I'm really choosy about which check out lane I get in is when I have alcohol.  Otherwise, it's self-check out all the way.  I hate the awkward silence that ensues after my underage cashier has to call over a manager to sell me some Sam Adams. 

The best choice Sam ever made.
Apparently, all of the older cashiers had the holiday off, so I reluctantly chose the express aisle with the girl who looked closest to 21.  Turns out she was old enough to sell it to me; Whew!  What a relief.  She then asks for my I.D.; no biggie, just doing her job.  Then she asks for my wife's I.D.  Excuse me?  She wanted to make sure that my wife was not under age, just in case I was buying the beer for her.  She explained to me their new policy of checking all I.D.s when anyone's age might be in question.  With her purse in the car, we were left at a stand-still.  "Manager!!!"  ..... cue awkward silence.

I understand that people purchasing liquor for minors is sort of a legal problem and a liability for the place of purchase.  But when I'm there with my wife and three kids, chances are we're old enough to purchase alcohol.  Who knows though? We may have started this little family at the tender age of 14, that would certainly be enough to make any father drink, but chances are I would be buying Stag or PBR instead of an over-priced seasonal six-pack.

How about: "Person abusing 10 Items or Less Aisle"

Age is a tricky thing though and I don't hold it against you cashier lady.  I myself didn't think you were old enough to sell me beer in the first place.  But, even if my wife did have her I.D. and we were cool, wouldn't you need to check my children's I.D.?  What if I was purchasing the beer for them?  God knows a couple drops in the old sippy cup at night might make them sleep in till 10 o'clock.

I later talked to an employee of Wal-Mart about this policy.  She chalked it up to an inexperienced cashier being unable to use sound judgment.  I mostly agree with her.  Once the manager came over and saw the baby throwing  her bottle, our 3 year old daughter being yelled at to "Put back those M&Ms" our son asking "Can we go now", and the tired worn out expressions on these parents' faces, she rang us up and sent us out, alcohol and all.

I'll definitely be buying beer again, it's a necessary tool of the trade for any stay at home dad,but I doubt it will be from Wal-Mart.

20 comments:

  1. Oh lol! If I go to a pub with my friends and someone hasn't got ID then we have been kicked out and it has happened once in a Supermarket but then we are all 18/19 and some of us deffo look younger so it's understandable! (I'm in the UK btw so it is legal!) But if you're with your wife and kids! That's just silly! Anyway great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niamh. Everything seems so much more relaxed in the U.K. I can only imagine the trouble I would have gotten into if my friends and I could have drank legally at bars when we were that age.

      Delete
    2. Oh you haven't seen a Friday night out then... :P I don't know whether you'll be able to watch this link in the US but this is my home town...there are people in this programme who I went to school with! (We weren't friends though! :L ) http://www.channel4.com/programmes/party-paramedics/4od#3306214
      Some people just take it too far! I just like having a drink with my friends in the pub and the odd night out here and there, I mean I am uni student after all! It's kida expected I'll be out everynight getting wasted!

      Delete
    3. I can't get the video to play. It looks like it would be interesting though. Cave-girls, nose biting, and beer bottles to the head; now that's a night out.

      Delete
  2. The only response I can give is "What the hell? Seriously"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard to not say that or some form of WTF to the cashier.

      Delete
  3. heh heh, hilarious! i'm turning 50 this year, and continue to be carded every time i buy alcohol. although i've been told i don't look a day over 38, the cashiers don't seem clued into this fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we should just take it as a compliment whenever we're carded. I'll say "Happy 50th" now in case I miss it later this year.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I cannot believe they held you up just because your wife didn't have her ID. That's just crazy to me. I can't see how it wouldn't be obvious that you both were of age. Me, on the other hand, I get carded everywhere because I look like I'm 16. I keep waiting for them to accuse me of having a fake ID. Oh, just a fun tid-bit, in PA you can't even buy alcohol in Wal-Mart, so I'll be interested to see what happens if/when they start carrying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that all Wal-Marts in PA or just certain "dry" cities? It's hard to believe that Wal-Mart wouldn't carry something so popular.

      Delete
  5. Wow...funny! FYI: no grocery stores/walmart/gas stations (etc) sell alcohol here...gotta go to a liquor store! Weird, huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is weird. Are the liquor stores outside city limits? I used to live near a "dry" town where you could only purchase alcohol outside the city limits. There were all kinds of bars/liquor stores right at the border line.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you did give me a laugh. I say, just smile because you must all look very under-aged which is a good thing. :) Think about all the things people do to look as young as you do. Get concerned when they just swipe the alcohol through without batting an eyelid. That's when you know your age has caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Rum. We did laugh it off and one friend called me a "Cradle Robber" when he heard they tried to card my wife. Good times. Thanks for reading/commenting.

      Delete
  7. Good for the cashier. I am the manager of a liquor store and I insist on all of my staff checking the ID of anyone who appears to be under the age of 30. Also, every person in the 'group' must provide a valid ID showing them to be of age to purchase alcohol. If even one person cannot demonstrate that they are over 21 then the sale is refused.
    Good judgement also plays a part in the ID process. When selling to an adult with a small child then it is unlikely that the purchase is being made on behalf of the 12 year old, but someone who appears to be mid 20's with a 17 or 18 year old accompanying them can appear suspicious, and the sale will be refused, normally to complaints of "it's my younger brother and he is just along for the ride" or "yes he is only 18 but he is just driving us to the liquor store".
    The point is that the frontline staff in liquor retail have to make a call, and when challenged back by the customer, a manager needs to step in and make a final decision.
    Most people who are buying legally appreciate this and the ones who usually complain and try to create a scene are buying illegaly.

    Bottom line is, if you know you are going to buy liquor, make sure you and everyone you are with have their ID to hand. It's not difficult and it makes everybody's day easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never understood why underage people walked in to the liquor store. We always waited outside. It has to be tough running a liquor store. Too many laws and penalties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lord i can top that! Today my husband myself and our 2 1/2 year old daughter was shopping at walmart and when we were ready to check out my little one was putting stuff up on the belt. Well all the sudden the Cashier disappears only to come back with a CSM who then proceeds to tell us that they cannot sell my husband his beer because our two year old daughter touched it!!! are you freaking kidding me right now...mind you they NEVER asked for my id! but sold us a small bottle of wine she had put up on the belt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably because two-year old children are much better at handling wine than they are beer.

      Delete
  10. drinking beer certainly is "NOT" tools of the trade for stay @ home dad's or any parent for that matter, it's such ideas that promote the many problems resulting from alcohol in our society --- having said that I would think if one does not like the rules a retailer sets forth , go to a liqure store or shop without your children --it sets a bad example anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice! From now on, I'll leave my kids in the car when I want to buy alcohol.

      Delete